25/07/2014

JAM's story



1.
Food has always been a big part of my life. My first cookbook was the wonderful My Fun-to-Cook Book' by Ursula Sedgwick: illustrated by Martin Mayhew. I've been cooking and learning every since.
At school I was lucky enough to have had cookery classes: baking my first loaf was a landmark event and my Dad still talks about my madeleines. 
Then later, to get myself through college,  I first worked in one of the Arches Cafes in Westcliff; where I learnt the fine art of breakfasts and the right consistency for pancake batter. This was followed by The Blue Parrot and The Peterboat in Old Leigh; where I made my first roux, learnt how to make basic sauces and cook fish.
When I moved back to London to study fine art, I worked part-time in LIBERTY and got a job as a waiter in Serendipity in Islington. It was here that I learnt the importance of front of house; and, realised that I preferred being directly involved with the customers...and that I like Macon Lugny.
2.

No comments :

Post a Comment